Social Media Technology (SumBlog12)
We began discussing what the changing roles of technology have had on society and the way society interacts with each other. We talked about the internet group called Anonymous. I think society has made massive advances with technology that many people from society could not live without. I also think that with these advances came negatives that we could not have prepared for and now don't know how to adjust to. When you think about the ease of posting and furthering your opinions and goals on the internet through social media, I start to wonder when does it end? As people feel the need to be heard and the need to feel important they are more and more willing to post and share information that we used to keep private. 20 years ago if you were depressed and mentally unsound, it would be a private matter with just you, your family, and a doctor. Now it seems like if you are depressed or mentally unsound, the whole internet could know before your parents do. I think this is furthering the feeling of safety and comfort with the internet so that now almost nothing is off limits. This linked with the ease of any information is where negatives can be created. 20 years ago no one knew how to make a bomb or where to get guns. Now a second grader can find anything they want on the internet. Society has changed drastically in 20 years, so I'm not saying that the internet is all bad, there are other factors at play. But I am suggesting maybe some of these advances have allowed negative feelings and actions to become more easily acted upon. I think many social aspects of the internet have taken away the responsibility and accountability of some people's words and actions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQFFh5jznI
This is a funny spin on the idea I'm talking about. We have become so comfortable with the internet that we don't step back and look at our real interactions in life anymore. We don't stop and think about the consequences of thins we say and do, because we are never really interacting with the people we might be hurting.
No comments:
Post a Comment